The Torch Keepers - Book Review

Hello dear readers! I hope you are all doing well, and blessed in seeking God daily! Funnily enough, Brooklyn and I have coincidentally happened to review the same book within a day of each other; so hopefully you don't mind two takes on the same novel!  ;D So, please enjoy my review of.... The Torch Keepers!



Author: Hosanna Emily


First Published: September 2019

Genre: Christian Allegory


For Ages: 13+

Mature Content: a fair amount of violence, a fair amount of romance, a lot of mental turbulence and depression

Questionable Language: disrespect to adults; not flippant, a result of confusion and pain, but still disrespect and sin nonetheless


God-glorifyingness: 8 ½/10

Reading: 7 ½/10

Plot: 6 ½/10


Overall Rating: 8/10


It was actually really had for me to rate the different aspects of this wonderful book, The Torch Keepers! For instance, in the God-glorifyingness section, I initially wanted to give it a 7/10, but then changed my mind and gave it an 8 ½/10. This was because there were times where I felt the book needed more Christian themes; but others when I was so touched by the unconditional forgiveness and love of God that it more than made up for any lack previously. (If you haven't noticed, I take the scores I give books very seriously! ;D) And in my overall rating, I was torn between two different scores; it was so hard to make up my mind (for a number of different reasons which I will not ramble on about now).


To summarise, though. This book starts with Kadira, a Torch Keeperess lost between two worlds and lives, a girl who feels the 'never good enough' past will always keep her from the present. The story is told by two different POVs; her, and Rekem, who's life is shadowed by his brother, the Prince Teion. The story is real, gritty, heartfelt and really draws one in to the emotions and struggles of these two and the cast of characters around them. I felt Kadira's pain; her rejection and journey to try to find who she is truly meant to be, was so real and expressive; Hosanna Emily was able to portray the deep feelings of her characters so well. They weren't unrealistic or sugar coated – some scenes were quite intense, and the sin... well, sinful, but it played into the depth of the King's forgiveness, which was the theme of the book I marvelled at the most.


Nura was a beautiful character; I would have loved to hear more of her story. Bowstaffs are really cool, and flamewings – what is not to love about a flamewing?!? The cover and design was very good too, and I loved how there was a short, poetic line at the beginning of each chapter.


There was a fair amount of romance, which is partly why I have rated the book for ages 13+. I was a bit uncomfortable with some parts - Chapter 16 in particular; so if you aren't a big fan of romance them I would skip most of that chapter (but not the end, it has some important plot developments!). The other reason I think it is more suited for more mature audiences is that there is quite a lot of violence and killing; not too graphic, but certainly ugly enough to make me wince at the sinfulness of the Liberation.


All in all, I really enjoyed this book! Though I did feel there could have been a few more, smaller, diversions and plot twists in the first half. Other than that, it was a really well written book that anyone who likes a deeper, more heart challenging yet satisfying read, would enjoy; I was left with a new, fresh and greater wonder at how deeply forgiving and (sacrificial in His forgiveness) our Father in Heaven is. I feel it was doing a wonderful job of also laying the foundation for the next book – seriously, I MUST READ THE SEQUEL!!! This book was great, and, with some questions answered and stories told, I think the next one is going to be even better.


I hope you enjoyed my review! Keep seeking the King and his forgiveness! <333

Until next time,

~ Jemima

Comments

  1. This book is one of my very-most favorites! 🤗 Great review! 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's a beautiful novel! Thank you Ellen! :D

      ~ Jemima

      Delete
  2. I read this book too, but haven't wrote a review yet......☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way, if you publish a review soon that would make three of us! ;D I would be interested to hear your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. Great review Jemima!!! I think if we didn't live in different countries we could be really great friends!<3
    I know you are pretty busy, but I am hosting a short story contest and was wondering if you want to join? Here is some information on the contest but there is more on my "Short Story Contest!" if you want it.

    1. You don't have to share your personal information or email address. You can submit your story on your blog and mention that it is for my contest or you can submit it through the comments on my blog.

    2. Must include these three things, summer, mystery, excitement.

    3. Must be between 2 and 6 chapters long.

    4. Submit your story before June 2nd.

    5. I will announce the winners the week of June 1st.

    Thanks for considering!

    annikalorriane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Annika! We can still be really good friends in the blogosphere! *smiles* I will definitely consider entering your contest - it looks like fun!!! I did see your post a few days ago, but I thought I would wait to actually decide about whether I would enter, before I commented. Do you have anyone joining yet? Anyway, I will let you know. =D


      ~ Jemima

      Delete
    2. I believe Ellen and I have joined, but if she's commented an answer you don't have to publish this comment *winks*

      Delete
    3. Yes! I am so glad to have 'met' you!<3 Yay! Yes Izzy, Caitlyn, and Katelyn are entering. And Ellen, Bailey and SawyerMarie might!

      Delete
    4. Hey guys! Sorry, I have been away for a bit and only just saw your comments! Annika, looks like you have quite a few joining; you can sign me up too! :D Thank you for inviting me; can't wait to get on and write my story! *grins*

      ~ Jemima

      Delete
  4. I bought this book, and I can't wait to read it! My sister saw your review and is devouring it, and is liking it immensely! So, awesome review!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Izzy, that's wonderful! Thank YOU! :D As another book review blogger once said, (and I'm paraphrasing her) it is so satisfying for a book lover when someone reads their reviews and decides to get the novel because of it! <333

      ~ Jemima

      Delete
  5. Hey Jemima! I love your Blog, and all of the designs!!! I hope you have a great day, and I have heard that, that book was really good, so I am hoping to read it soon. I know that my Sister read it!!!

    ~Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bailey! That's so nice of you to stop by! :D I hope you enjoy the book, if you read it! Have a nice day too, and God bless!

      ~ Jemima

      Delete
  6. Oh girl!! It's so, so humbling and beautiful when God takes a little part of us and uses it to inspire or bless someone! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, and your review of The Torch Keepers is such an encouragement to me! Thank you, Jemima!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Hosanna! *hugs* I don't know if I'm allowed to know, but when is the next book coming out? ;D

      ~ Jemima

      Delete
    2. *hugs back* Ohh, good question! I don't have an official date yet... still working through stories as God leads! Eep - but I'm SO excited about some of these new books!!! And you'll be one of the first to know! =)

      Delete
    3. Aww, thank you Hosanna! As I said, I seriously cannot wait for any sequels you happen to write... :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments; and I do my best to always respond, so check back! Please make sure comments are edifying and God honouring, and if Anonymous commenters could sign their names that would be much appreciated. It's nice to know who I am conversing with. ;D

Popular Posts