Trading Talents - Part 1




Hello blogger friends!

If you've read my last post, you'd know that today I'm going to be writing about how we can be using our specific and precious talents for the glory of the One who gave them to us. This is a huge subject, and TBH, one I'm quite passionate about - so at this stage I think I'll be doing a blog series on it! 😊

So. Everybody is talented. And I'm not trying to be cheesy or corny. And I guess when we think of "talented", we think high IQs, junior chess genuises, or incredibly gifted artists. Or, well, maybe not exactly that - perhaps more just like "special".

But according to Google, *puts on Siri voice*, the definition of talented is:
 
        
 talented
/ˈtaləntɪd/
adjective
adjective: talented

 Having a natural aptitude or skill for something.
   ''a talented young musician"

    So, when I say "everybody is talented", this is what I mean: everybody has a natural 
    aptitude or skill for something. Even if you feel like the most ordinary young adult to walk the planet, you are talented in that sense of the word. You have a talent; it might be small or big, but I'm guessing anyone reading this has at least one gift from God that enables them to do something really well. 

A child with Down's Syndrome might have a gift for being cheerful and putting others at ease with their sunshiny nature. A person who appreciates well-thought-out special occasions might have a talent for being behind the scenes and helping design events. 
A person with strong hands might be good at giving massages to sore necks and hands. There are so many, many, ways that an individual made in the image of God could be specially able in one way or another! Think about one person you know; how many different ways are they talented? You should come up with at least 5! 

The Bible talks about this when it says "As every man hath recieved the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." Our Creator gives us these special marks to be used for His glory and to minister and love others. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Parable of the Talents in Matthew has that title: the talent in the story is a type of ancient currency - but I believe they are spiritual symbols for the other kind of talents: the gifts God gives. In Matthew 25:16, it says "Then he that had recieved the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents." Meaning he took the money that his master had given him, and went and traded itskilfully so that he could have more money to give back at his master's return. And that's why I have named this post series "Trading Talents". 

I think some of my particular passions would be 1) filming, technology and media, 2) music and playing my violin and 3) graphic design. Not to mention writing and words... of course, that's partly why I started this blog! ;D

We are commanded to use the precious gifts God has given us, and use them to the best of our abilities so that we might win and love souls for the gospel. There is always more we can do to "spend and be spent" for the gospel! And when you have a passion for something, and you're able to do that thing for God's glory; it's so rewarding and enjoyable. 

I don't want to carry on for ages *laughs*, so I will, God-willing, be writing about how we can "trade our talents" in enjoyable and fulfilling ways, next post! 

What talents has God given you; what are your passions in life? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments! 💬💭😀

Blessings,

~ Jemima





Comments

  1. I love it. Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lilly! I have quite a few ideas... :D

      Delete
  2. Leadership, encouraging, photography, and writing are mine.
    Great post Jemima!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that SawyerMarie! :D

      Delete
  3. I love this post so much, Jemima!! ❤ Thanks for sharing this bit of thought-provoking encouragement with us. 😊 I look forward to the next part of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!! I have a LOT to get my head around with this subject, but I really pray God is using my musing *laughs* for His purposes!

      ~ Jemima

      Delete
  4. Hi Jemima! I love this post!!! It's true, everyone has their own special talents!
    I love when you said '*puts on siri voice*"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *laughs* I appreciate that Annika! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. This was beautiful and so true Jemima! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brooklyn! All glory to God! <333

      Delete
  6. Earlier this year my pastor spent a few weeks talking about spiritual gifts (Romans 12) and how we should use our individual gift to serve others and further God's kingdom. That's what this reminds me of. My talents are singing, organizing, solving problems, and serving others (that's actually my spiritual gift). I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Katelyn! I have enjoyed hearing about everyone's individual talents; that's interesting you made the distinction between "talent" and "spiritual gift". I hadn't thought about that: that's something I might have to look into for this topic! :D

      Delete
  7. This was good to read! Some of my passions include music, writing, and being a blessing to other young ladies (by sharing God's Word with them or just being a friend). :) I'm looking forward to the next part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a blessing to others is such an important one! Thank you for your thoughts, Leona! :D

      Delete
  8. Do you think you'll post soon, Jemima?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilly, sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I have been MIA lately... I know. All will be explained in the post I am just currently working on! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments; and I do my best to always respond, so check back! Please make sure comments are edifying and God honouring, and if Anonymous commenters could sign their names that would be much appreciated. It's nice to know who I am conversing with. ;D

Popular Posts