Morning and Evening - Book Review


G'day there! *waves*  

Posting every three days hasn't worked brilliantly for me - often I'm busy and won't be able to post on that particular day. So instead, I will just be posting whenever I feel lead to or have a free afternoon. That should be 'round twice a week, possibly on Wednesdays and Saturday (they're my days most likely to be spent at home); but then it really will be as God sees best for me and this blog! :D  

I thought long and hard about what to write about today; and I was just about to give up, and, *laughs*, post a post about why I had nothing to post about, when God gave me the idea to review a devotional I have been really encouraged by. (BTW, if you ever are stuck for blogging ideas; I have learnt praying about it extremely helpful!) 


Author: Charles Spurgeon

First Published: 1865

Genre: Christian Devotional


For Ages: 13+

Mature Content: none (as far as I am aware); I haven't read all the daily readings though.

God-glorifyingness: 10/10

Reading: 8 1/2/10 (if you are a more advanced reader)

Plot: n/a


Overall Rating: 9/10


I have been so encouraged by the daily devotional Morning and Evening. Charles Spurgeon is not only very theologically sound and a powerful preacher, he is also a wonderful writer; he packs so many wordy gems and amazing metaphors into this collection of short readings for the year! It contains urges for the sinner to seek Christ, edification and sweet comfort for the believer, and always, always, adoration of our Lord's beauty and loveliness.

I noticed that even the smallest or most "unimportant" scripture is explained so that it becomes meaty and interesting, and this brings to light many things our untrained eyes don't see in the Scriptures. The older language and harder words would be more suited for teens or more advanced readers; but I think parents or older siblings could easily explain or simplify the readings for younger children. I know you can also get an edition of Morning and Evening in more modern English; personally I love the old fashioned and richer writing, though!

I would 100% recommend this to any Christian; this devotional has blessed me so much, inspired musings on His word, and helped me grow in Christ. Though I would never want anyone (myself included) to rely on another person's views from the Bible, however godly, instead of seeking God for the personal revelations He gives to those who ask Him. It is better than anything when you earnestly seek God for yourself, and get a wonderful and meaningful application of a scripture to your soul!

The Morning and Evening daily readings are easy to find; you can look them up on Google, or download a free app, (which is what I use). Or, for the real old timers, you could get a hard copy! ;D

Well, I hope you are blessed by this book; let me know your thoughts or if you have read it before!


~ Jemima xx














Comments

  1. I think we have a hard copy of this book somewhere in our house. Maybe I'll read it one day......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very good book!! What version of the Bible does it use?
    ~Leona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's wonderful! :D Since it's about 150 years old, the version used is always KJV.

      Delete
  3. Hello Jemima! I have never read this book, but it sounds good! I recently got my first bible! I don't know much about these kinds of things, but I am trying to learn more. Reading your blog and other peoples really encouraged me to start reading the bible. For a while I would bury myself in books and not talk to anyone, but I started talking to friends more and trying to look for the bright side of things. I want to apologize if for a while I sounded mad. I am so grateful that we found each others blogs!<3

    Thank you so much for entering my contest! Do you know how you are going to turn it in?


    stay safe,
    Annika
    annikalorriane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annika! Your comment really brought a smile to my face; that's wonderful that you've just got your first bible!!! It's exciting to hear that you're wanting to learn more about God; if my blog has at least a tiny bit helped you seek Him, then I can die happy! *winks* No, seriously, that is the whole purpose of this blog... so it was such an encouragement to read your comment! If you ever have any questions about the Bible or salvation, I would love to help in any way I can.

      So happy you're feeling more joyful and positive! Though I never noticed you sounding mad in comments or anything. I have found a lot of joy too, in discovering God and His holiness and love and seeking His salvation from sins. I'm so grateful to have found your blog too! <333

      You're welcome; thank YOU for inviting me to the contest! I think I'll turn my story in via Izzy's blog. I was thinking about what I'm going to write about last night! =D

      Blessings,

      ~ Jemima

      Delete
    2. I will make sure to ask you if I have any questions! I can't wait to read your story!

      Delete
  4. Hey Jemima! Im so excited to read your story! Monday works perfectly for you to turn them in!

    Also I have a question: your graphics are so pretty! What app do you do them on? I use Over a graphic design app, I like it but I want one where you can add two different fonts. You can email me your response or comment!

    ~Annika

    ReplyDelete
  5. When are you posting again?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sighs* I'm so sorry... I have beena bit AWOL lately, haven't I?! We have been away almost all of the last two weeks and I'm only just getting back into the swing of things... I will hopefully post again today or tomorrow! :D

      ~ Jemima

      Delete

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments; and I do my best to always respond, so check back! Please make sure comments are edifying and God honouring, and if Anonymous commenters could sign their names that would be much appreciated. It's nice to know who I am conversing with. ;D

Popular Posts